The City of Sparks is conducting a search for an accomplished professional to serve as its next Fire Marshal, in anticipation of the incumbent’s upcoming retirement. Founded in 1905, the Sparks Fire Department is an all-risk, full-service fire department that has provided emergency services to the city for over 100 years. Top candidates invited for an interview will have a strong commitment to public safety and a desire to thrive in a robust, proactive organization dedicated to high performance. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to implement best practices for deployment of fire prevention services and programs.
The Fire Marshal reports to the Fire Chief and is a key member of the Fire Department administrative team. The Fire Marshal is a Division Manager responsible for the City of Sparks Fire Prevention which oversees, plans, organizes, and manages all activities of the Fire Prevention bureau under the Fire Chief’s direction. This position manages a staff of eight including an Assistant Fire Marshal, Fire Prevention Inspectors, Fire Plans Examiner and Administrative Secretary. The Department operates five fire stations with a staff of 97 personnel and is represented by the Sparks Firefighters IAFF Local 1265. SFD’s current daily staffed apparatus includes five type I engines, one quint with a 78’ ladder, and one ladder truck with a 100’ platform. SFD also cross staff’s three type III engines, one type VI engine, and one water tender to fight wildland fires. Each station also includes advanced life support (ALS) providers at the paramedic level which allows for a high level of care to all patients treated within the City of Sparks. The current Department annual operating budget is approximately $23 million and a capital improvement budget of $3.3 million.
Requires an Associate’s degree in fire science, fire administration, public administration, or a closely related field and five years of progressively responsible fire investigation and fire inspection experience, including at least three years of supervisory responsibility in an all-risk urban fire department comparable to the City of Sparks.
- Must obtain and maintain the following certifications throughout employment as follows:
- Fire and ICS Certifications:
- Fire Inspector I and Fire Inspector II from the ICC.
- Fire Plans Examiner from the ICC, within one (1) year of hire.
- Fire Investigator from the IAAI or NAFI, within two (2) years of hire.
- Incident Command System 100, 200, 300 and 400 within one (1) year of hire.
- Must complete City of Sparks Fire Marshal task book within two (2) years of hire.
- Nevada Class C Driver’s License within 30 days of hire.
- Nevada Peace Officer’s Standards & Training (POST) Category I Certification and Firearms Qualification is preferred.
The successful candidate will receive a highly competitive salary and excellent benefits – with a salary range of $114,733 – $150,155. Additionally, Nevada PERS Retirement Plan is fully paid by the City, and Nevada has no State Income Tax.